Yoga is an ancient discipline that has found its place in contemporary society mostly as a means of exercise and fitness. The Yogic discipline that finds its roots within the union of the being and the universe has evolved and branched out to accommodate newer styles and approaches that enhance individual lifestyle and wellbeing.
One such evolutionary form of the yogic philosophy is the concept of face yoga. Face Yoga is a relatively modern concept that focuses on the face muscles and dexterity to improve facial features as well as induce a sense of relaxation.
What is Face Yoga?
Massage and exercises that stimulate the muscles, skin, and lymphatic system are part of face yoga. This technique is intended to soften and relax your facial muscles in order to relieve tension, stress, and worry. This may also assist you in ceasing to make the facial expressions associated with those feelings. Face Yoga tends to focus on certain meridians and acupressure points on the face that is connected to many internal organs. These asanas help in stimulating these pressure points that improve body functionality and wellbeing.
Even though face yoga is a fairly contemporary concept, it has managed to induce a number of benefits within the lifestyle of individuals. There are many new companies and organizations that look to propagate these teachings on a global level. One such organization is the NGO called Manasvani which was founded by Mansi Gulati, an international Yogi, and teacher of the ancient discipline.
Types of Face Yoga
Here it is important to state that “types of face yoga” is just another way of introducing the various asanas involved in this process. Some of the face yoga asanas have been mentioned below:
- Anti-aging Exercises
- Exercises For Skin Wrinkles
- Exercises For Chin
- Exercises For Eyes
- Exercises For Glowing Skin
- Skincare Techniques For Different Seasons
- Lymphatic Drainage Massage + Neck Massage
- Double Chin And Chiseled Jawline Exercises
- Dark Circles
- Natural Makeup and Face Masks
- Prevent Hair Fall
- Prevent Facial Hair and Hormonal Imbalance
How to do Face Yoga (Step by Step)
Face Yoga is a very mild practice and doesn’t involve much of your time. Each Type of Face Yoga has its effects as they tap into various acupressure points and meridians.
- The Forehead Smoother – Also known as the brow smoother this exercise helps relax the temple region of the face.
- Lift one arm straight up, then drop it over your head to lay your fingertips on your temple.
- Lift your face up and back with your fingertips, then drop your head over to your shoulder, maintaining your chest wide.
- Hold this stance while slowly exhaling through your mouth.
- To advance the position, extend your other arm at a 45-degree angle and, as you exhale, put your tongue out towards the ground.
- Repeat on the other side and all the way through.
- The Neck Lift – The neck lift is very good for dealing with the discomforts arising due to double chin
- Pucker your lips as much as you can to one side (you should feel a stretch in your cheek).
- Turn your head to that side, raising your head at a 45-degree angle. You should be able to feel the stretch in your neck.
- Hold the position for three seconds. Repeat.
- Rep on the opposite side.
- The Face Lift – The Face Lift exercise stimulates lymphatic circulation and helps to a great extent in reducing puffiness of the face.
- Put your palms on your temples.
- Raise your hands and pull them back, elevating the sides of your face.
- Make an “O” shape with your mouth. Drop your jaw as far as possible to make your face as long as feasible.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds. Repeat twice more.
- The Eye Lift – This exercise helps a great deal with headaches and much like the previous exercise improves skin elasticity which eventually reduces puffiness above the cheek area.
- Press your shoulders down and pull one arm straight up, then drop that arm over your head to lay your fingertips on your temple.
- Gently press down with your fingertips to lift your face up and back, then slide your head over to your shoulder, keeping your chest wide.
- Hold this position while slowly exhaling through your lips.
- To take the posture a step further, extend your other arm at a 45-degree angle and, as you exhale, put your tongue out towards the ground.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Jaw Unlocker – This Exercise impacts the jaw and neck region benefitting by toning those areas into shape and providing better facial features. This exercise also helps to deal with cramps within the jaw areas.
- Make a fist with your left hand and place it on the outside of your jaw, thumb facing down, while seated.
- Feel a stretch on the side of your neck as you turn your head toward your fist.
- Don’t let your hand move.
- Then, for a few seconds, squeeze your jaw on your hand.
- Gently let go.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Face Tapping – The face tapping exercise boosts blood circulation within the face and induces relaxation.
- Begin at your brow and tap your skin rhythmically with your fingertips.
- Continue all the way down your face to your jaw.
- Tap the back of your neck and across your shoulders next.
- Then, work your way up the back of your neck to your head.
- Finally, massage your hands together to produce heat.
- Cup your hands over your face and take several deep breaths.
- Lions Breath – This is a yogic breathing technique that stimulates the face muscles and induces relaxation.
- Lean forward from a seated position to brace your hands on your knees or the floor.
- Deeply inhale through your nose.
- Open your mouth wide, extend your tongue, and stretch it toward your chin.
- Exhale forcefully across the base of your tongue while creating a “ha” sound.
- Breathe regularly and relax.
- Rep up to 7 times more.
- For 1 to 3 minutes, take deep breaths.
Face Yoga Routine
A face yoga routine is one that can be practiced every day especially after waking up in the morning. The exercises will help improve blood circulation within the face and will help start the day fresh and revitalized. It is suggested to start with the lift exercises so as to increase the flexibility of the face muscles before moving into the other exercises.
What are the benefits of Face Yoga?
Face Yoga has shown some significant benefits that can help in rejuvenating facial features as well as induce relaxation.
Some of the key benefits of Face Yoga have been briefly mentioned below:
- Manipulates the muscles in your face
- Tightens the neckline
- Supports better nostril breathing
- Muscle memory reprogramming
- Helps to deal with ameliorating temporomandibular joint (TMJ) problems symptoms
- Makes your face more symmetrical
- Face Yoga helps minimize the visibility of dark underage circles
- Boosts your self-esteem and firms up your facial muscles
- Positive emotions are elicited when sagging is corrected.
- Lessens the rounded appearance of your face
Top Face Yoga Book
Over the last decade, yoga techniques have been evolving with their increasing incidence in contemporary lifestyles. To spread the knowledge of these new upcoming techniques many yoga professionals have taken it upon themselves to publish books or release online podcasts. Many online bookstores like amazon have made available these books and ebooks which have now hit global markets as the popularity of Yoga increases in today’s modern times.
Here are some of the most popular books on Face Yoga:
- Miracle of Face Yoga – Mansi Gulati
- Danielle Collins’ Face Yoga: Firming Facial Exercises & Inspiring Tips to Glow, Inside and Out
- Danielle Collins: The Face Yoga Journal: Transform Your Face, Mind & Life in 2 Minutes a Day
- Catherine Pez: The 5 – Minute Facial Workout: 30 Exercises for a Naturally Beautiful Face.
- Fumiko Takatsu: The Ultimate Guide To The Face Yoga Method: Take Five Years Off Your Face
- Elaine Bartlett: The Complete Facelift Workout: The Essential Face Exercise Program for Everyone Interested in Ageing Well.
Potential Risks of Face Yoga
The entire routine of face yoga has its benefits especially due to its ability to stimulate meridians and acupressure points within the face. But an excessive routine may have certain adverse effects. Most of the exercises within this routine look to stretch out the facial muscles that will induce a relaxing feeling as well as improve blood circulation. But an overexerted stretch may cause the skin to wrinkle and may make you look older rather than younger. As a potential risk, this seems to be the only downside to the routine, that also it may occur due to over-excursion.
Face Yoga Apps
As technology has now become an integral part of every industry operating within society, it was only a matter of time before this knowledge would be available on mobile and other online platforms. There are numerous face yoga applications available on app stores like google play and Apple’s App Store.
Some of the popular face yoga applications have been briefly mentioned below:
- Face Exercise
- Facetory: Face Yoga and Exercise
Face Yoga: Related FAQs
Q1. How long does face yoga take to work?
Much like most yogic exercises, these face yoga techniquestend to provide instant relief and show more comprehensive results within 2 to 3 weeks of regular practice.
Q2. Is face yoga harmful?
Face yoga is not harmful in any way, instead, it has many benefits as it increases blood circulation in the face and stimulates many acupressure points. Overexertion may lead to wrinkling of the skin but that is also a very rare occurrence.
Q3. Does face yoga work?
Face Yoga is an extremely pragmatic way to start your day as the exercises open up the muscles in the face and induce a sense of relaxation in the body.
Q4. How to reduce face fat through yoga?
The most pragmatic approach to reducing face fat is by practising the lift exercises of face yoga, especially the neck lift and jaw unlocker exercises.
Q5. Does face yoga cause wrinkles?
Extreme overexertion may lead to skin wrinkles, but all in all, face yoga exercises do not cause wrinkling. It might occur in very rare cases and hence does not apply to the larger public.
Q6. How to increase face glow through yoga?
Usually, all yoga exercises increase blood circulation in the body which in turn does increase facial glow. But specific face yoga exercises like eye lift, facelift, and face tapping exercises can quicken the process.
Q7. Can yoga cure blemishes?
Face yoga can help improve acne and pigmentation while also reducing stress. Toxins are flushed from the system.
In a nutshell, it can be concluded that face yoga has a myriad of benefits in bringing out a better and more pristine sense of wellbeing. Each exercise improves blood circulation and stimulates acupressure points that help in relaxing the mind and the body. Along with these exercises, a workout routine or yoga routine would bring about an even brighter change in immunity levels and body flexibility. A healthy diet is also recommended to maximize the benefits arising from this face yoga routine.
Manasvani Teacher Training Course for Face Yoga
Manasvani is an NGO that promotes health rights. Manasvani was founded by Mansi Gulati who is an international Yogi, Author, and thinker. Even though the Manasvani Organization provides education on all forms of yoga, this article looks to shed light on the teacher training course for Face Yoga. Face Yoga is increasing in popularity and is in need of professional trainers to manage the growing student base for this yogic routine. For more information on the Teacher Training Course for Face Yoga, you can log onto the official website.
Mansi Gulati, AN INTERNATIONAL Yogi , Author, and a thought leader. She devoted her efforts to learn everything possible about yoga practices and philosophy from as many learning sources she could find. She has over 25 years of experience in yoga. She has many international and national certifications to her credit. She has written several articles and books, which are based upon the premise and philosophy that yoga can benefit all body types through a series of Asanas.